Kodwa, Mabe reportedly on ANC elections list despite s.e.xual harassment allegations. The KZN ANC deputy chairperson, however, asked to temporarily withdraw from the listing process until he had dealt with allegations against him.
ANC national executive committee members Pule Mabe, the party’s spokesperson, and Zizi Kodwa, the head of the presidency, are on the governing party’s list of nominees to parliament, even though serious allegations have been levelled against them, Sowetan reports.
Mabe was recently accused of s.e.xual harassment but the ANC’s internal inquiry found him not guilty. Kodwa has been accused of rape by an alleged 28-year-old complainant.
ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule announced last month that the two had requested not to work as spokespersons for the party until they had cleared their names.
It was reported that if no objections were raised over the pair being on the list of nominees for parliament, then their names would remain on the list, which is due to be submitted to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) by March 13, the deadline set by the commission.
The acting spokesperson of the party, Dakota Legoete, told the publication that the pair had not been found guilty by a court of law and so would not be left out of the list of candidates for parliament based on the allegations.
Legoete said any candidates facing allegations had to be referred to the integrity commission and that on Monday the commission would report to the ANC’s top six.
Meanwhile, ANC KwaZulu-Natal deputy chairperson Mike Mabuyakhulu removed his name from the nominees’ list for parliament and legislatures, Timeslive reports.
The party’s provincial secretary Mdumiseni Ntuli told the publication that Mabuyakhulu took the decision to remove his name from the list because he was of the view that the ANC’s public image, integrity and reputation were a priority over members’ personal interests.
Charges of fraud and racketeering have been levelled against Mabuyakhulu, who requested that he should be temporarily withdrawn from the list processes until the conclusion of the court case over the allegations, Ntuli was quoted as saying.
Mabuyakhulu has stated that he believed the fraud and racketeering charges levelled against him were part of an orchestrated political campaign to exclude him from holding public office.
YOU MAY LIKE…
Karima Brown prepares to take EFF to the electoral court
Karima Brown prepares to take EFF to electoral court. She has already laid a complaint of intimidation with the police and received a case number. She was meeting with lawyers to bring a case against the EFF for violating the electoral code of conduct in the run-up to the May national polls after party leader Julius Malema this week accused her of being an intelligence operative for the African National Congress (ANC).
Journalist Karima Brown was on Friday preparing to take the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) to the Electoral Court as supporters of the party continued to target her with threats and abuse. “I received threats as late as this morning,” Brown said.
Source: The Citizen
The post Kodwa, Mabe reportedly on ANC elections list despite s.e.xual harassment allegations appeared first on News365.co.za.